Buzzfeed released an analysis of the top 50 fake news stories of 2017 which you should definitely read. Many of the stories in the list have been debunked at some point by Lead Stories so there are no surprises there for our regular readers but it is an interesting read nonetheless.
Just for fun we decided to do a quick non-scientific analysis of our own see how we compared to the three top fact checkers used in Buzzfeed's data: Snopes, Politifact and ABC News. We took the top 10 most viral fake news stories from the Buzzfeed list and checked if we had covered them.
- Babysitter transported to hospital after inserting a baby in her vagina
- FBI seizes over 3,000 penises during raid at morgue employee's home
- Charles Manson to be released on parole, to Johnson County, TX
- Police: Chester Bennington Was Murdered
- Morgue employee cremated by mistake while taking a nap
- Angry Woman Cuts Off Man's Penis for Not Making Eye Contact During Sex - TRENDING
- Female Legislators Unveil 'Male Ejaculation Bill' Forbidding The Disposal Of Unused Semen
- President Trump Orders the Execution of Five Turkeys Pardoned by Obama
- Elderly woman accused of training her 65 cats to steal from neighbors
- Couple hospitalized after man gets his head stuck in his wife's vagina
Snopes covered 9 of them while Politifact and ABC News did not write about any of the top ten stories. Lead Stories wrote about 8 of them, including the one Snopes missed ("Angry woman"). Snopes wrote about the two that Lead Stories missed ("unused semen" and "65 cats").
Now let's compare speed on the seven stories that Snopes and Lead Stories both covered:
Babysitter Transported to Hospital After Inserting a Baby in Her Vagina? https://t.co/PZ41a7G8Rn-- snopes.com (@snopes) May 4, 2017
Snopes 0 - 1 Lead Stories
FBI Seizes Over 3,000 Penises During Raid at Morgue Employee's Home? https://t.co/O02RHWdtFZ-- snopes.com (@snopes) September 28, 2017
Snopes 0 - 2 Lead Stories
Charles Manson is not being released from prison:https://t.co/JVXX2g0kI3-- snopes.com (@snopes) June 12, 2017
Snopes 1 - 2 Lead Stories
Were Chester Bennington and Chris Cornell Murdered to Cover Up a Pedophile Ring? https://t.co/ks94SuT2CD-- snopes.com (@snopes) July 22, 2017
Snopes 1 - 3 Lead Stories
Morgue Employee Cremated by Mistake While Taking a Nap? https://t.co/H0ZPl1gVfK-- snopes.com (@snopes) March 3, 2017
Snopes 1 - 4 Lead Stories
Did President Trump Reverse President Obama's Turkey Pardons? https://t.co/hHVtqTCCuT-- snopes.com (@snopes) January 25, 2017
Snopes 2 - 4 Lead Stories
Was a Couple Hospitalized After a Man Got His Head Stuck in His Wife's Vagina? https://t.co/GoOvXFjMia-- snopes.com (@snopes) September 18, 2017
Final score: Snopes 2 - Lead Stories 5
Not too shabby considering we at Lead Stories have just one active writer (me), a fraction of the budget and we are not even part of Facebook's fact checking program so we don't have access to the list of stories reported as fake by Facebook's user base. We must be doing something right I guess :-)
Best wishes for 2018 and don't get fooled by fake news!