STORY UPDATED: check for updates below.
Did Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg lose a contact lens during the recent senate hearing and did this reveal a lizard eye? Nope, although many people believe there is a "lizard people" conspiracy saying reptilians secretly control the earth, the story about Zuckerberg being one of them is totally made up, it originated on a satire website.
WASHINGTON, D.C.--During his much-publicized appearance before a bipartisan Senate committee Tuesday, the false, humanlike contact lens Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg had placed over his left eye accidentally fell out, revealing the horrifying yellow lizard eye lying underneath.
The story went massively viral, collecting nearly 80,000 engagements on Facebook alone at the time of writing and still gaining more.
But you shouldn't take the "news" seriously since The Babylon Bee comes with following dislaimer on every page:
The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire.
If you feel up to it you can watch the recording of the entire hearing here to see for yourself no contact lens popped out at any time:
Some of The Babylon Bee's greatest past hits include:
- Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Flooded Houston To Pass Out Copies Of 'Your Best Life Now'
- Steven Furtick Signs 6-Year, $110 Million Contract With Lakewood Church
- Another Actress Accuses Kirk Cameron Of Treating Her With Respect
- ISIS Lays Down Arms After Katy Perry's Impassioned Plea To 'Like, Just Co-Exist'
With a track record like that it is clear that you shouldn't take anything posted on the site seriously and you definitely shouldn't confuse it with real news.
We wrote about more babylonbee.com articles going viral recently:
- Fake News: Rotten Tomatoes Did NOT Introduce New Negative Scores For Faith-Based Films
- Fake News: Hershey's Did NOT Replace Kisses With More Pure Sidehugs For Christian Market
- Fake News: 2018 Spending Bill Does NOT Include $30 Million For Paying Off Trump Mistresses
- Fake News: Ken Ham NOT Arrested For Vandalizing Grand Canyon Signs
- Fake News: Jim Bakker Did NOT Say 'Trump Was Merely Sharing The Gospel With That Porn Star'
: The hoax has now been copied by fauxtire site Huzlers.com too.
Want to warn others this story may be fake?
Click this link to copy it to your clipboard
Then click here if you have Facebook or click here if you have Twitter to see who is sharing it (it might even be your friends...) and leave the link in the comments.