Just Because It's Trending Doesn't Mean It's True
Hoax Alert

Fake News: UPDATED - Director John Singleton HAS DIED After Suffering Major Stroke

  • by: Alan Duke
  • (Fri, 26 Apr 2019 04:03:24 Z)

STORY UPDATED: check for updates below.

Did film director John Singleton die after suffering a major stroke? No, that's not true: It is another celebrity death hoax taking advantage of a serious health crisis to generate web traffic. John Singleton, 51, is in a coma after suffering a stroke, but not dead, a source close to his family told Lead Stories Thursday night.

(A family representative confirmed to Lead Stories Monday, April 29, 2019 at 1:45pPT that John Singleton has died. The family released this statement: "John passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family and friends," Singleton's family said. "We want to thank the amazing doctors at Cedars-Sinai Hospital for their expert care and kindness and we again want thank all of John's fans, friends and colleagues for all of the love and support they showed him during this difficult time.")

The story originated from an article (archived here) where it was published on April 25, 2019 under the title "Director John Singleton Passes Away After Suffering Major Stroke!!! It opened:

Famed director John Singleton suffered a stroke last week after taking a trip to Costa Rica and experienced problems with his legs. He checked himself into a hospital in L.A. and suffered another stroke Wednesday in his hospital room. This time it was much more severe, putting the director into a coma resulting in his untimely death.

Screenshot of http://genobreaker.com/2019/04/25/director-john-singleton-passes-away-after-suffering-major-stroke/?fbclid=IwAR3sSPTK-7EsXECgzPvV36SKqJ1nvWz5YlUqrnUo1kjebY3x7E8xc1oxz_s

This is what social media users saw:

The fake story offers no sourcing for the confirmation that Singleton has died. To the contrary, media reports Thursday, April 25, 2019 centered on a court filing by Singleton's mother, Shelia Ward, asking that a conservator be appointed by the court to take manage his finances and personal needs. The filing said Singleton is "currently hospitalized in a coma and is unable to provide for his personal needs" or "manage his financial resources."Singleton suffered a stroke on April 17, his family said.

"This story is false and John has not passed away," a source close to the family told Lead Stories Thursday night.

In 1992, Singleton became the youngest person,and the first African American to be nominated for a best director Oscar for directing the Boyz n the Hood.

Updates:

: A family representative confirmed to Lead Stories Monday, April 29, 2019 at 1:45pPT that John Singleton has died. The family released this statement: "John passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family and friends," Singleton's family said. "We want to thank the amazing doctors at Cedars-Sinai Hospital for their expert care and kindness and we again want thank all of John's fans, friends and colleagues for all of the love and support they showed him during this difficult time."

: Contrary to renewed reports that John Singleton has died, a family representative confirmed to Lead Stories Monday, April 29, 2019 at 10aPT that the director was still alive, however, they would soon end medical life support. "It is with heavy hearts we announce that our beloved son, father and friend, John Daniel Singleton will be taken off life support today. This was an agonizing decision one that our family made, over a number of days, with the careful counsel of John's doctors."

About the author:

Editor-in-Chief Alan Duke co-founded Lead Stories after a 26-year career with CNN. He mainly covers entertainment, current affairs and politics. Duke closely covered domestic terrorism cases for CNN, including the Oklahoma City federal building bombing, the UNABOMBER and search for Southeast bomber Eric Robert Rudolph. CNN moved Duke to Los Angeles in 2009 to cover the entertainment beat. Duke also co-hosts a daily podcast with former HLN host Nancy Grace, "Crime Stories with Nancy Grace." You'll also see Duke in many news documentaries, including on the Reelz channel, CNN and HLN.

Read more about or contact Alan Duke

About Lead Stories

Lead Stories uses the Trendolizer™ engine to detect the most trending stories from known fake news, satire and prank websites and tries to debunk them as fast as possible. Read more about how we work and how we select stories to check here.

Spotted a hoax that you think we should investigate? Have a tip? Want to send us a correction? Contact us!

You can also follow us here:

Most read

Recent

Like or Follow us to get the latest!

NEW! Subscribe to our YouTube channel: